One of my annual August rituals when I was a teacher (as I mentioned in my first entry) was to make sure the Feng Shui was on point in my classroom. For 7.5 years, this went a long way in creating a safe, productive learning environment. I know what you're thinking..."If she set it up the way she wanted of course it's going to feel safe for her!" True, but my assertion that it was a safe and productive space was echoed in comments by students, alumni, faculty, staff, visitors and parents. I took it as a compliment that my classroom was always a scheduled stop for school visitors (known and unknown) -from Oprah to the countless college students that come to observe every year. That said, I want to offer some resources you may want to share with teachers, especially those that may have had some classroom management concerns. These resources aren't magic. They don't work in isolation. A feng shui layout is one element of classroom milieu. Self-confidence, a sense of pride in one's work, professional manner, high standards of excellence and morality all encourage students to participate in and maintain the classroom community. The best line of defense is open communication with the students about what you wish to create, why and how you want them to take a proactive role in it.
Books to check out...
1. Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui and Creating Sacred Space with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston (I've read and loved both of these. Very easy reads)
2. Feng Shui for Financial Success and Feng Shui Do's & Taboos by Angi Ma Wong (I've read and utilized these. She has 2 more books also.)
3. Feng Shui for your classroom by Renee Heiss (never read this, but Renee beat me to the punch in getting her ideas published!)
Websites to browse.....
http://www.spaceclearing.com/html/
http://classroomfengshui.com/
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7ADBF&q=feng+shui+websites+for+the+classroom
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment