Friday, August 15, 2008

Immigration Resources I've Used...

Sparked by seeing Aqui Estoy at the Goodman Theatre, I began to recall the immigration and migration related resources I've used. There was a week where I went to the public library and checked out 30 children's books so they could read up and do reading projects. Another thing that made our study unique was looking at FORCED IMMIGRATION/MIGRATION VS. VOLUNTARY IMMIGRATION/MIGRATION. That, of course, widens the gauge of what you can cover or read.

Here's a partial list.

Books
  1. From There to Here
  2. Forty Cent Tip
  3. Breaking Through
  4. The Great Migration
  5. A Nation of Immigrants
  6. Ellis Island
  7. Journey to Ellis Island
  8. Color Me Dark
  9. Cajos de Carton (also available in english)
  10. Senderos fronterizos (also available in english)
  11. The Circuit
  12. Teenage Refugees from Mexico
  13. My Bloody Life
  14. Women of Brewster Place

Films & Documentaries
  1. The Promised Land
  2. American Made
  3. Wetback the Undocumented Documentary
  4. Joy Luck Club
  5. Gangs of NY
  6. Godfather II (Vito Corleone flashback scenes only)
  7. Spirit: Stallion of Cimarron
  8. Women of Brewster Place
  9. Mi Familia
  10. El Norte

Of course, there are countless articles in newspapers in California, Illinois and other cities where national or local immigration rallies took place. Time magazine had an amnesty cover story that I reference a lot with kids. Websites are a good source sometimes. We used to use youtube clips of our chicago rallies; as well as, some local org sites doing webcasts, but I can't recall the name of it now.

No comments: