Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Brief thoughts on "THE NAZIS: HELPED INTO POWER"

I didn't have a lot of ideas related to this documentary. My time was spent in note-taking and learning more about the dates and facts outlined as they were unfamiliar to me. Here are the few questions or lasting impressions:

  • One man in the film referred to seeing "Hitler's beautiful side." I couldn't help but wonder - what happened to that side when he was mandating the slaughter of millions?
  • At what point does love or one's people/nation become problematic?
  • How doyou discuss the "good" and "bad" sides of individuals in history - the yin & yang- with students? In what way does this relate to choices and the decision-making processes we all employ daily?
  • I watched this following "Degenerate Art" so art still loomed in my mind. I wonder what alternative lifestyles artists choose when they can't be creative? We all saw the extreme in Hitler.

No comments: