
I was born in Mobile, AL, but have been a Chicago South Side resident since 1978. I graduated from Chicago Public Schools for elementary and high school. My B.A. and M.A. are from 2 Illinois universities. I was honored to receive National Board Certification in Illinois, as well. My M.Ed is from Grand Canyon University in Arizona. I have been an educator, spoken word artist and youth organizer in Chicago since 1995. I am currently the Board President of Kuumba Lynx (www.kuumbalynx.org), a non-profit, mulitarts organization that conducts workshops for students & teachers and holds performances across not only the city, but the country (and in 2 instances, the world)! Our poetry slam team just placed 1st in the annual teen city slam (Louder Than a Bomb) and placed 3rd in the national slam (Brave New Voices) in DC last month! As an educator, I founded KL2 at YWLCS on Chicago's south side. That group performed around the city and had a slam team that placed in the semi-finals for 2 years in Louder Than a Bomb. Many of the productions and performances we create align with the scope and sequence of FH. I was introduced to FH at the Young Women's Leadership Charter School of Chicago in 2001 as a member of the Humanities Team/Dept. As of June 2008, as head of the Hum Team, I'd mentored 10 teachers in our department, taught approximately 225 girls in my own FH Hum classroom and mentored approximately 25 student teachers & observers in the "FH approach" to learning. I was a member of the Chicago Teacher Leadership Team and subsequently, was asked to participate in the National Teacher Leadership Team. I have a passion for education, the arts and youth. I love Chicago. I love Facing History. I'm excited to be an official part of the team.



No comments:
Post a Comment