Wednesday, August 20, 2008

How do you quantify hatred? A reflection on "The Longest Hatred"

I found myself intrigued by the title of the documentary because I couldn't figure out how to count/quantify hatred in years. It seems to, perhaps unintentionally, suggest that the Jewish community has been victimized and been powerless longer than any other people. I think, therefore, that in using this resource we have to clearly express that no peoples' suffering is greater than that of another.

That said, the parts of the film that held the most interest for me were the segments focusing on modern Jewish experience (post 1948). As an educator, this part of the history is the most difficult to work with students on because the issues are so controversial. I liked that artists were included and that there was a discussion of symbolism, imagery, rituals and language that are deeply rooted on all sides of the controversy. The issue of stereotypes and false assumptions were also important.

"Guilt isn't collective, but personal." This was a remark made by a German president in recent years and I wonder, if America adopted this idea that would mean, for example, that the people featured in "Banished" would have legal recourse against the individuals who currently hold their property. Conversely, would that mean that the government would be free of issuing reparations or taking responsibility for their crimes against humanity?

What was problematic to me was that the film didn't seem to suggest solutions, but seemed to glamorize the Jews as victims, which doesn't seem to do the culture justice. Jewish people, like all oppressed peoples, have risen to greatness in society and have a history of creativity and scholarship. Of course, I don't know for certain, but this is the impression the documentary left with me. What do you think?

No comments: