Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Program Tech Reading Group Work - June 16

The post is titled, "80+ Videos for Tech. & Media Literacy" (http://educationaltechnology.ca/couros/1480). Here are your instructions to prepare for our meeting:

1) Everyone should watch video #17, "A Brave New World-Wide Web." This is a fun piece done by a teacher about teaching in the 21st century.
This taught me that I don't know enough about creating great slide shows! This is a great PD piece for teachers and admins. It's a great opener for a tech class or education class. My main takeaways are
  • Wasn't this a book title?
  • Why does the music remind me of 2001 Space Odyssey?
  • What software is he using? I want to be able to do that!
  • It was a bit long, but great points and specific examples were given. I feel like he only presented the warm, fuzzy, magical world of technology (which is the only side kids see/want to see) rather than bringing up the issues or moral and ethical problems that can arise (cyber bullying, plagiarism, etc). It makes me think of old newspaper ads during the Industrial Revolution!

2) Then you are on your own. Please watch at least a few of these.
  • "Everything Is Amazing, but Nobody is Happy" - Is this guy reading my mind? Is he watching me like "big brother" on one of these GPS satellites? EVERYTHING he said is the TRUTH! OMG! I've never heard of him and I HATE Conan so unfortunately I missed it...he's very funny!
  • The Machine is Us/ing Us - it's like this guy copied video 17

  • Introducing the book- I loved this video. I think it's because so many people don't read anymore...I myself feel so behind in this organization because the books I've read were those of my students!

No comments: