It's been hectic. I feel like all my projects, tasks and school visits are coming down on me all at once. It's stressful to have so much on your plate at one time and to still have time to deal with personal/social/financial catastrophes in one's personal life - being overwhelmed means my work spills over into personal time.
I think overall though as far as my time here since August I am most comfortable with my work in the New PA cohort and with the my school visits. I have a good rapport with the teachers I've met with and hope for great things coming out of their classes. The hardest part or least rewarding part is recruiting for seminars and workshops. I've never been good at sales...I'm too nonchalant.
I am excited/anxious to see how the Polk Dialogue turns out. Students from 2 different high schools are reading 2 texts related to the Great Migration, conducting neighborhood interviews/projects to be merged for an audio montage by vocalo.org, a local public radio station for marginalized communities and getting together twice to hear a Chgo historian and to showcase their projects related to their studies. As a culmination the students will go on a Chicago Boat Tour. This dialogue is important because it brings together youth from 2 different schools/communities that wouldn't otherwise connect due to Chicago's historically segregated nature. It's also an opportunity to foster dialogue among Chicago area teachers and to provide the students with interpersonal and multimedia skills that they may or may not have had the opportunity to be exposed to before.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment